Public Housing

Section 8 Housing

What is Section 8?

The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program is federally funded by Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The program is designed to provide affordable, safe, decent and sanitary rental housing. Assistance can be provided to low-income families, singles, elderly and individuals with disabilities.

Where can I live?

With Pennington County Housing and Redevelopment Commission's (PCHRC) Housing Choice Voucher Program you can reside anywhere in Pennington County, Fall River County or the City of Martin. If you wish to reside outside these areas your voucher may be portable. Check with Pennington County Housing for more information. The type of rental unit you choose can be a house, apartment, duplex, 4-plex, mobile home, etc. Lot rental assistance may also be available. The place that you are currently renting may even qualify.

How do I qualify?

Current Income Guidelines are as follows:

Effective 12/18/2013 Income Limits (Gross Annual Total Family Income)

Location Number in Family 1 Number in Family 2 Number in Family 3 Number in Family 4
Pennington County $22,400 $25,600 $28,800 $32,000
City of Martin $18,850 $21,550 $24,250 $26,900
Fall River County $18,850 $21,550 $24,250 $26,900

Location Number in Family 5 Number in Family 6 Number in Family 7 Number in Family 8
Pennington County $34,600 $37,150 $39,700 $42,250
City of Martin $29,100 $31,250 $33,400 $35,550
Fall River County $29,100 $31,250 $33,400 $35,550

Income from all members of your family must be declared. Some examples of income are:

Employment (including tips)




Social Security


Child Support




There are certain items that are excluded from income calculations, but must be reported. Some examples of excluded income are:

  • Food Stamps
  • Energy assistance
  • Foster Child Care

What do I pay?

Pennington County Housing and Redevelopment Commission (PCHRC) will pay the difference between the tenant portion and the total rent. Both you and PCHRC will pay the landlord directly. You will also be responsible for the deposit for the unit, deposits for the utilities and the utilities not included in the rent. You will usually pay approximately 30% of your adjusted monthly income towards your housing expense, but no more than 40%.